I believe in the second law of thermodynamics: that, in an isolated system, entropy either remains the same or increases as equilibrium is reached. I may be considered a “science geek” for using a law from Physics class as my belief. When carefully examined though, this law makes much sense throughout not only the physical world, but the cognitive world as well. No matter how hard one tries, one cannot come out on top without sacrifice; equilibrium needs to reached, and to do so greater effort must be used in attaining one's goal as well as maintaining that status.
In order to clean my room, I must sacrifice my time and energy in moving everything around, and in order to maintain a clean room I must be willing to keep everything in order for equilibrium to be reached and sustained. Even when I seem to have broken the law by stating I created order from disorder, however, there is the energy and time spent that factors in as an increase in entropy. Thus the overall entropy remains greater, the disorder is always one step ahead. My belief does not only pertain to physical tasks such as cleaning, or work either.
Everyday, social issues arise; disorder and chaos are always on the rise. I believe that family, friendships, relationships, any kind of social interaction is governed by this law as well. This doesn't mean that I think a relationship is full of only egregious moments. I'm simply saying that a relationship requires a lot of time and effort to attain and maintain, and if that effort isn't put forth the relationship will end. Time and time again I've lost friends because I was unwilling to put anything into our friendship.
It's a sad state of affairs but disorder seems to spring from nothing while order must be attained as well as maintained. This is why I believe in the second law of thermodynamics: that the universe is geared toward chaos and disorder in just about every case imaginable.
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Whoo. Go PHYSICS!
ReplyDelete